Friday, January 08, 2010

Taxonomy of Technical Blog Posts

I categorize technical blog postings into a taxonomy:

Type I: Describing how to use some kind of technology, your own or someone else's
Type II: Describing how to overcome some limitation, bug, or quirk of technology
Type III: Whining about failures to get one or more technologies to work (together)
Type IV: Crowing about getting one or more technologies to work (together) - often a follow-up to a Type III posting
Type V: Indulging in a post that really doesn't belong in a technical blog.

For a classic example of a Type II posting, see:

3 comments:

Michael Easter said...

Very neat! Type VI might be a satirical post that acts a commentary on technology

Brian Gilstrap said...

Hmmmm. I hadn't considered commentary about technical matters or blog posts. I might have to create a Type V...

Anonymous said...

really an eye opener for me.

- Robson